Thursday, March 14, 2002

Monday was really something. I missed morning classes because we're just doing review and sorts. My highlights were the evening.

I got my ethnic studies midterm back. Hey, my essay improved, but one key term that was wrong killed me. Sheesh. I got the same grade as before, umm, a B-. Sheesh. It's still good, but not good enough. I know that for the most part, it's a really good grade, but compared to other people and the pressure to get good grades for future stuff, you know. In addition, I need to shoot for higher to make up for lower grades. And I anticipate a bunch of those, and an upcoming one. *sighs*

Did I mention I lost my phone? Okay, so no one could call me until I get a new one :-/ I didn't know the KP Officer meeting wasn't at the Cross even though it said so on the thingie. LOL But we went to Bucca Dibeppo's (i think), which was an Italian place. Oh my gosh, everybody was so enthusiastic! Just walked in and they were loud with a welcome and all! Let's see if I could remember who was there, which was our officer meeting, so mostly officers. Okay. Law and Diane were there for a little bit. Okay: Vaness, April, Rudolf, Abe, Jay, Mel, Char, Stine, Joe, Ingrid, Francis, Christie, Vanessa, Pearl. hmm..if i missed anybody, I'm soooo sorry! Got a really bad memory! I highlighted each one of them during roundtable for all the good things they've done for me and for being cool and all sorts of things. For helping me out. For making me feel welcome and so many things. I'd tell you everything I've said to them each, but you know how long that would take? I really love KP so much, and I'm so glad to be a part of it.

Pilipino Awareness Day was something we discussed. Vaness and I put it up on Friday, and we got a lot of positive feedback. We were in the front page of The Guardian! Well, some of our people got quotes in there like Jay and even Darwin had a quote in there! I didn't really get what the girl from Muir meant entirely though. But I wanted to mention something. It was a really good event. Some people thought it wasn't representative of the Pilipino culture. That may be true since we lacked a lot of aspects like more tables for more Pilipino inform ation. The performances didn't really represent the culture either, except for a few, and the fashion show. There was some critism about the tone. But don't take it wrong! It was a really good show! You have to remember what the day was intended for. Although we lacked fully presenting our culture, we did showcase Pilipinos in general. We showed that we, as Pilipinos, are out there, and this day was to recognize and show that Pilipinos do go to this school and here we are! We showcases performances by Pilipinos of their talent, and that recognizes the diversity of Pilipine culture and not some "model minority" stereotype by showing that Pilipinos are artist or dances or singers are in bands and play instruments instead of just being good at math or science. So, if anything, that was postive. Darwin Castillo commented, and I was glad, 'cause he said "I feel good about being a Filipino at UCSD because there aren't many Filipinos here." Anyhow, it's for our people and for anyone else curious about us that the day was for. I felt really good about it, and yay!

So that meeting went well. We did our reports and ate good food and that was really cool. I spoke out a whole bunch more than what I've done in the past. I felt really good. Turns out this would be me for up until now, which is good because it's all positive!